Matcha Chawan [Bowl]
Our traditional Matcha Chawans are perfect for those starting out with Matcha- they are the perfect shape and size for Matcha preparation.
Diameter : 4.7inch (12cm) height: 3.1inch (8cm), standard matcha bowl size
Origin : Made at the famous Shigaraki Kiln near where some of our most popular Japanese teas are grown they are hard wearing and glazed in the distinctive Japanese style. The Shigaraki Kiln is one of ‘The Six Old Kilns’ in Japan, said to have been formed in the 13th Century.
- Shigaraki is one of the six major old Japanese kilns.
- Begun in 743 A.D., the Shigaraki kiln has produced traditional Japanese ware for over 1250 years, and holds the distinction of being the oldest kiln.
- Shigaraki, located near Kyoto, was once the capital of Japan. The soil was found to be rich in clay that was suitable for pottery. Because of the location and the abundance of clay Shigaraki prospered due to the pottery production.
- Shigaraki ware is characterized by its natural, simplistic style and grace of the combination of the clay and feldspar.
- The style and taste of Shigaraki ware depends on the combination of the glaze (Yuyaku), the clay, and the firing temperature of the kiln.